Why has shifting improved?

Old July 13th 03, 12:12 AM
David L. Johnson

Default Why has shifting improved?

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 11:16:31 +0000, Ed Culp wrote:

I have seen the experts here reminisce that shifting has improved greatly
over the years.

I recently replaced the rear derailleur on a 20 year old bike. The
freewheel has 6 strait tooth cogs, without the ramps found on modern ones.
The bike shifts with a satisifing kachunka sound. My relatively new 9
cog bike shifts usually silently but not more reliably. So except for
sound I see no difference.

Is that because of the new derailleur? What shifting quality has
improved?

Well, the kachunk might translate to no shift at all under load. Modern
systems are far easier due to indexed shifting (click into each gear
rather than moving -- about -- the right distance), levers that are part
of the brake lever, and better-designed derailleurs. The combination has
added up to a real improvement.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | You will say Christ saith this and the apostles say this; but
_`\(,_ | what canst thou say? -- George Fox.
(_)/ (_) |

Old July 13th 03, 04:03 PM
David L. Johnson

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 16:00:24 +0950, DiabloScott wrote:

In 1983 (20 years ago) virtually all road bikes had downtube friction
shifters - cheap bikes had "stem" shifters. There was no indexing beyond a
few failed prototypes so your bike would not have gone "kachunka".
Shifting a bike 20 years ago was done well ahead of when one needed the
new gear, from a seated position, and with a coaxing hand maneuver. You
could get fast at it but it would never go "kachunka".

Sure it would. Kachunka, ping, rattle-rattle-rattle, clickity-click.

Indexing (derailleur/shifter interface) and ramped tooth profiles are what
make shifting fast these days. Integrated shifters and brake levers make
it more convenient. Combined, these improvements allow for shifting under
load while standing - something I'll wager precious few people ever
attempted 20 years ago.

Try none. I can't imagine anyone being able to reach down to the downtube
while standing, for one, and the derailleur would just not have shifted.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | I don't believe you, you've got the whole damn thing all wrong.
_`\(,_ | He's not the kind you have to wind-up on Sundays. --Ian
(_)/ (_) | Anderson

Old July 13th 03, 06:15 PM
Jim Edgar

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 11:16:31 +0000, Ed Culp wrote:

What shifting quality has
improved?

Spinal Tap compatibility:

Soon, it's going to go up to 11...

Old July 15th 03, 03:23 AM
David L. Johnson

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 00:36:13 +0000, Benjamin Weiner wrote:

I used to shift under load while standing - inadvertently, when a friction
shifter slipped. (My theory is that this happens because of repeated
frame flexing.)

Tends to be lack of lube on the cable guides under the bottom bracket.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | When you are up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember
_`\(,_ | that your initial objective was to drain the swamp. -- LBJ

Old July 15th 03, 01:46 PM
R.White

"David L. Johnson" wrote in message ...
[...]

Nope, there was one guy I remember who did it all the time. I have
an old picture of him, but it's not the best.

http://tinyurl.com/gz6s