Shimano mountain f/d and road shifter compatibility

Old May 24th 05, 03:11 AM
Jeff S.

Default Shimano mountain f/d and road shifter compatibility

Hello, I just read in the Quality Bicycle Products (QBP) catalog, that one
should not mix a mountain front deraiileur and a road front shifter. Why is
that?

My specific question: does this guideline still apply to bar-end shifters
(D-A 9-speed) and mountain front derailleurs (XT M751 or LX M571)? Thanks
in advance for your input.

Old May 24th 05, 04:28 AM
David L. Johnson

On Mon, 23 May 2005 22:11:55 -0400, Jeff S. wrote:

Hello, I just read in the Quality Bicycle Products (QBP) catalog, that one
should not mix a mountain front deraiileur and a road front shifter. Why is
that?

The amount of cable-pull per shift is different.

My specific question: does this guideline still apply to bar-end shifters
(D-A 9-speed) and mountain front derailleurs (XT M751 or LX M571)? Thanks
in advance for your input.

It would if the bar-end shifters are indexed. Can you use them in
friction mode? If so, they'd work fine. There is also at least one
mountain-sized derailleur that will work with road shifters. Check
Sheldon Brown's site for details.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Do not worry about your difficulties in mathematics, I can
_`\(,_ | assure you that mine are all greater. -- A. Einstein
(_)/ (_) |

Old May 24th 05, 04:52 AM
Sheldon Brown

Jeff S. wrote:
Hello, I just read in the Quality Bicycle Products (QBP) catalog, that one
should not mix a mountain front deraiileur and a road front shifter. Why is
that?

They use a different amount of cable travel per shift.

My specific question: does this guideline still apply to bar-end shifters
(D-A 9-speed) and mountain front derailleurs (XT M751 or LX M571)?

Not a problem with bar-end shifters, 'cause they aren't indexed for the
front derailer. This is only an issue with indexed front shifters, such
as STI.

Sheldon "No Worries" Brown
| This message has been sent to you using recycled electrons |
| exclusively. Please do not discard them after use, |
| send them along and help conserve these irreplaceable |
| sub-atomic resources for future generations. |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old May 24th 05, 05:18 AM
Jeff S.

Thanks for the quick response. That is as I expected, but you just need to
be certain when re-configuring a drivetrain. My Jamis Aurora has a Truvativ
'Touro' (130/74 w/ 52/42/30) and I want to go to a Sugino XD to go 110/74.

My latest thinking (always subject to change with a new brain synapse) is
48/36/26 or 24 with a 12x23 9-sp. cassette and M751 or M571 28.6 mm bottom
pull traditional swing f/d and a 105 triple r/d. Now to sort out the
chainrings and bb length (Grant says 107/110 and QBP says 113/118). I will
do this with moustache bars rather than the stock Biomax bars.

Thanks again.

Old May 24th 05, 02:03 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Jeff S. wrote:
Hello, I just read in the Quality Bicycle Products (QBP) catalog,

that one
should not mix a mountain front deraiileur and a road front shifter.

Why is
that?

My specific question: does this guideline still apply to bar-end

shifters
(D-A 9-speed) and mountain front derailleurs (XT M751 or LX M571)?

Thanks
in advance for your input.

Cuz it doesn't work. The arms of the MTB front ders are of a different
dimension and the resulting STI(road) and MTB front der is not
compatible.

NOT for friction barend shifters, of course. These are compatible tiwht
anything, jus about.

Old May 24th 05, 02:16 PM
David L. Johnson

On Tue, 24 May 2005 00:18:28 -0400, Jeff S. wrote:

Thanks for the quick response. That is as I expected, but you just need to
be certain when re-configuring a drivetrain. My Jamis Aurora has a Truvativ
'Touro' (130/74 w/ 52/42/30) and I want to go to a Sugino XD to go 110/74.

My latest thinking (always subject to change with a new brain synapse) is
48/36/26 or

Oh, so you have a road derailleur, and feel the need to switch to mountain
because of the 48? Not necessary, actually. I use a road derailleur with
a 46/30 front, and have no problems shifting. Mine's Campy, but Shimano
can also be set up to work fine this way. It is a little fussier, but not
impossible.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | What is objectionable, and what is dangerous about extremists is
_`\(,_ | not that they are extreme, but that they are intolerant.
(_)/ (_) | --Robert F. Kennedy

Old May 24th 05, 02:44 PM

Jeff S. wrote:
Thanks for the quick response. That is as I expected, but you just

need to
be certain when re-configuring a drivetrain. My Jamis Aurora has a

Truvativ
'Touro' (130/74 w/ 52/42/30) and I want to go to a Sugino XD to go

110/74.

Why? You can put any size chainring down to 38 teeth on the middle and
outer spots on your current crank. The 74mm bcd inner spot is the
exact same on the two cranksets so your low gear is identical. What
exactly do you imagine you are getting by switching cranks?

My latest thinking (always subject to change with a new brain

synapse) is
48/36/26 or 24 with a 12x23 9-sp. cassette

And your current 130mm bcd crank will take 48-38-24. Close enough to
your proposed 48-36-24 to not make one bit of difference. You are
obviously just picking chainring sizes because they have a nice dozen
teeth difference between them. You are not trying to get a certain
shifting pattern. So 38 or 36 teeth on the middle ring will make no
difference to you.

Old May 24th 05, 05:30 PM
Sheldon Brown

Jeff S. wrote:

be certain when re-configuring a drivetrain. My Jamis Aurora has a
Truvativ
'Touro' (130/74 w/ 52/42/30) and I want to go to a Sugino XD to go
110/74.

Russell Seaton asked:

Why? You can put any size chainring down to 38 teeth on the middle and
outer spots on your current crank. The 74mm bcd inner spot is the
exact same on the two cranksets so your low gear is identical. What
exactly do you imagine you are getting by switching cranks?

Good point!

My latest thinking is 48/36/26 or 24 with a 12x23 9-sp. cassette

You'd be better off leaving the cranks alone, and going with one of my
"Century Special" 13-30 cassettes. The 52/13 top gear is _exactly_ the
same as your proposed 48/12. The 30/30 low gear is 10% lower than your
proposed 24/23.

This setup would provide much better shifting in front, because you'll
be using the chainring sizes the front derailer was designed for.

It will also give longer chain/sprocket life due to the larger sprockets
involved.

http://harriscyclery.com/9

Sheldon "Save Your Money" Brown
| The wayfarer |
| Perceiving the pathway to truth, |
| Was struck with astonishment. |
| It was thickly grown with weeds. |
| "Ha," he said, |
| "I see that none has passed here |
| In a long time." |
| Later he saw that each weed |
| Was a singular knife. |
| "Well," he mumbled at last, |
| "Doubtless there are other roads." |
| --Stephen Crane |

Old May 24th 05, 07:17 PM
Booker C. Bense

Are cyclists allowed to race on public roads? RipVanWinkle UK 1256 June 4th 05 01:41 AM
Mountain vs Road Biking Chris General 23 March 13th 05 12:51 AM
Frequently Asked Questions about Mountain Biking BB Mountain Biking 31 July 4th 04 02:35 AM
FS: Parts Bin Cleanout Road, Cross and Mountain Pics Available CL Marketplace 1 May 9th 04 08:44 PM
5 pages of new parts for sale Marketplace 1 October 28th 03 01:30 AM