PDA

View Full Version : Re: Why has shifting improved?

David L. Johnson
July 13th 03, 12:12 AM
On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 11:16:31 +0000, Ed Culp wrote:

> I have seen the experts here reminisce that shifting has improved greatly
> over the years.
>
> I recently replaced the rear derailleur on a 20 year old bike. The
> freewheel has 6 strait tooth cogs, without the ramps found on modern ones.
> The bike shifts with a satisifing kachunka sound. My relatively new 9
> cog bike shifts usually silently but not more reliably. So except for
> sound I see no difference.
>
> Is that because of the new derailleur? What shifting quality has
> improved?

Well, the kachunk might translate to no shift at all under load. Modern
systems are far easier due to indexed shifting (click into each gear
rather than moving -- about -- the right distance), levers that are part
of the brake lever, and better-designed derailleurs. The combination has
added up to a real improvement.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | You will say Christ saith this and the apostles say this; but
_`\(,_ | what canst thou say? -- George Fox.
(_)/ (_) |

David L. Johnson
July 13th 03, 04:03 PM
On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 16:00:24 +0950, DiabloScott wrote:

> In 1983 (20 years ago) virtually all road bikes had downtube friction
> shifters - cheap bikes had "stem" shifters. There was no indexing beyond a
> few failed prototypes so your bike would not have gone "kachunka".
> Shifting a bike 20 years ago was done well ahead of when one needed the
> new gear, from a seated position, and with a coaxing hand maneuver. You
> could get fast at it but it would never go "kachunka".

Sure it would. Kachunka, ping, rattle-rattle-rattle, clickity-click.

> Indexing (derailleur/shifter interface) and ramped tooth profiles are what
> make shifting fast these days. Integrated shifters and brake levers make
> it more convenient. Combined, these improvements allow for shifting under
> load while standing - something I'll wager precious few people ever
> attempted 20 years ago.

Try none. I can't imagine anyone being able to reach down to the downtube
while standing, for one, and the derailleur would just not have shifted.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | I don't believe you, you've got the whole damn thing all wrong.
_`\(,_ | He's not the kind you have to wind-up on Sundays. --Ian
(_)/ (_) | Anderson

Jim Edgar
July 13th 03, 06:15 PM
On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 11:16:31 +0000, Ed Culp wrote:

> What shifting quality has
> improved?

Spinal Tap compatibility:

Soon, it's going to go up to 11...

David L. Johnson
July 15th 03, 03:23 AM
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 00:36:13 +0000, Benjamin Weiner wrote:

> I used to shift under load while standing - inadvertently, when a friction
> shifter slipped. (My theory is that this happens because of repeated
> frame flexing.)

Tends to be lack of lube on the cable guides under the bottom bracket.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | When you are up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember
_`\(,_ | that your initial objective was to drain the swamp. -- LBJ
(_)/ (_) |

R.White
July 15th 03, 01:46 PM
"David L. Johnson" > wrote in message >...
> On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 16:00:24 +0950, DiabloScott wrote:
>
> > In 1983 (20 years ago) virtually all road bikes had downtube friction
> > shifters - cheap bikes had "stem" shifters. There was no indexing beyond a
> > few failed prototypes so your bike would not have gone "kachunka".
> > Shifting a bike 20 years ago was done well ahead of when one needed the
> > new gear, from a seated position, and with a coaxing hand maneuver. You
> > could get fast at it but it would never go "kachunka".
>
> Sure it would. Kachunka, ping, rattle-rattle-rattle, clickity-click.
> >
> > Indexing (derailleur/shifter interface) and ramped tooth profiles are what
> > make shifting fast these days. Integrated shifters and brake levers make
> > it more convenient. Combined, these improvements allow for shifting under
> > load while standing - something I'll wager precious few people ever
> > attempted 20 years ago.
>
> Try none. I can't imagine anyone being able to reach down to the downtube
> while standing, for one, and the derailleur would just not have shifted.

Nope, there was one guy I remember who did it all the time. I have
an old picture of him, but it's not the best.

http://tinyurl.com/gz6s

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home