Perhaps someone should tell "BICYCLING" mag's "Style Man" about this...

Old July 16th 03, 04:19 PM
Garrison Hilliard

Default Perhaps someone should tell "BICYCLING" mag's "Style Man" about this...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sportacademy/h...00/3030160.stm
Old July 16th 03, 10:10 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sportacademy/h...g/newsid_30300
00/3030160.stm

"If you ride more than a couple of miles a day and have a high-performance
racing or mountain bike, then it's worth forking out the extra cash for the
proper gear."

WTF?!?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old July 16th 03, 10:17 PM
Doug Huffman

WTF indeed. I ride more than 5K miles/year (and more than that this year)
on a steel bike priced like titanium and gold that I bought just so that I
don't need to BUY BUY BUY bike specific rags.

Bike retailers' biggest enemy is their marketing philosophy.

Old July 17th 03, 12:46 AM
Doug Huffman

Now there's a subtle way to introduce race into the non-issue. Are you
Nigerian?

"Kevan Smith" /\/\ wrote in message
Does anybody who's ridden for any amount of time still read BuyCycling for
Whitey magazine?

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace
When this load is DONE I think I'll wash it AGAIN ...

Old July 17th 03, 06:57 AM
A Muzi

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sportacademy/h...g/newsid_30300
00/3030160.stm
"If you ride more than a couple of miles a day and have a

high-performance
racing or mountain bike, then it's worth forking out the extra cash for

the
proper gear."

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" perspicacious as always, wrote in

message
WTF?!?

"Doug Huffman" wrote in message
WTF indeed. I ride more than 5K miles/year (and more than that this year)
on a steel bike priced like titanium and gold that I bought just so that I
don't need to BUY BUY BUY bike specific rags.

Bike retailers' biggest enemy is their marketing philosophy.

_OUR_ 'marketing philosophy'???
WTF?!?
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Old July 17th 03, 07:32 AM
Ted Bennett

Kevan Smith /\/\ wrote:

Now there's a subtle way to introduce race into the non-issue. Are you
Nigerian?

On the contrary. Look through BuyCycling magazine and see how many non-white
people you see, then look up from the magazine and see how many you see in
the
real world. BuyCycling, indeed Rodale in general in all of their
publications,
seem to go out of their way to exclude minorities. Recently, the only black
people I've seen in the magazine have been in ads for charity bike rides.
Asians? Hispanics? Forget it.

Actually, the more serious problem is that Bicycling is now more about
selling cars than bikes. Count up how many full page ads they run, at
around $25,000 each, for cars and trucks, relative to bikes, bike gear
and bicycle advocacy.

--
Ted Bennett
Portland OR
Old July 17th 03, 02:16 PM
A Muzi

"Ted Bennett" wrote in message
Actually, the more serious problem is that Bicycling is now more about
selling cars than bikes. Count up how many full page ads they run, at
around $25,000 each, for cars and trucks, relative to bikes, bike gear
and bicycle advocacy.

For an eye opening experience with Buycycling's advertising structure, page
through a subscription copy and a bike shop copy together. Thye used to get
hate mail from dealers about the deep discount ads, being on the rack right
in the bike shop. Now LBS copies just show 'filler' ads . Problem solved.

Old July 17th 03, 03:34 PM
Garrison Hilliard

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 20:56:17 -0500, Kevan Smith /\/\
wrote:

Asians?

In almost every issue... Nelson Lu, one of their bike reviewers, is of
Asian heritage.
Old July 18th 03, 02:54 AM
Pat

x-no-archive:yes

"Doug Huffman" Now there's a subtle way to introduce race into the
non-issue. Are you
Nigerian?

Doug, he's still smarting because last year he wrote a rant to and about
Bicycling Magazine demanding they put a dark-skinned rider on their February
issue because it is Black History month in the U.S. They ignored him and
that hurt his ego big time.

Pat in TX