A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » General
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Ken Kifer's Murderer Still Behind Bars



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 16th 06, 04:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Ken Kifer's Murderer Still Behind Bars

The murderer of Ken Kifer, Jimmy Don Rodgers, is still behind bars.
Thank goodness Jimmy Don decided to screw up his chances for Parole.
His release date is now 2023.

Rob

Date: Sun, Sep 4 2005 11:03 pm
Email: Rob Perkins
Groups: rec.bicycles.misc

I was stunned to visit Ken Kifer's pages after a long time and find out
that he had been murdered by a serial drunk driver & drug abuser in Sep
2003. See
http://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/index.htm

Ads
  #2  
Old May 16th 06, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Ken Kifer's Murderer Still Behind Bars

RobertPerkins wrote:
The murderer of Ken Kifer, Jimmy Don Rodgers, is still behind bars.
Thank goodness Jimmy Don decided to screw up his chances for Parole.
His release date is now 2023.


I agree with the "thank goodness" part. Not necessarily for vengeance,
and not for justice (since I don't think justice was served with his
lenient sentence), but for public safety. My safety. Riding my bike
one county away, and regularly driving through Jackson County, I don't
want to have any more drunk drivers, out on bail for drunk driving, on
the road than absolutely necessary.

But the 2023 date is too good to be true. Are you sure he won't come up
for parole in another 3-4 years?

Pat

Date: Sun, Sep 4 2005 11:03 pm
Email: Rob Perkins
Groups: rec.bicycles.misc

I was stunned to visit Ken Kifer's pages after a long time and find out
that he had been murdered by a serial drunk driver & drug abuser in Sep
2003. See
http://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/index.htm

  #3  
Old May 16th 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Ken Kifer's Murderer Still Behind Bars

Pat Lamb writes:

RobertPerkins wrote:
The murderer of Ken Kifer, Jimmy Don Rodgers, is still behind bars.
Thank goodness Jimmy Don decided to screw up his chances for Parole.
His release date is now 2023.


I agree with the "thank goodness" part. Not necessarily for vengeance,
and not for justice (since I don't think justice was served with his
lenient sentence), but for public safety.


With that attitude noone would ever be released. The asshole who hit Ken
got 20 years : this is not a lenient sentence. In fact you could say it
was far too long for what could be described as "an alcohol induced accident".

If he can succeed in rehab then maybe, just maybe this young man can
serve a useful role in society once again.
  #4  
Old May 16th 06, 09:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Ken Kifer's Murderer Still Behind Bars

Successful rehab? I don't know about that. According to Ken's website:

"Rodgers had been released from jail just four hours before hitting
Ken. He had been held for 12 hours on charges of DUI (Driving Under the
Influence) and a violation of the open container law. He has been
charged with murder."

The guy had only been release FOUR hours before he killed Ken after
sitting in jail for a DUI violation!

How did Jimmy Don "screw up" his chances for early parole?

  #5  
Old May 17th 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Ken Kifer's Murderer Still Behind Bars

Hadron Quark wrote:

With that attitude noone would ever be released. The asshole who hit Ken
got 20 years : this is not a lenient sentence. In fact you could say it
was far too long for what could be described as "an alcohol induced accident".

If he can succeed in rehab then maybe, just maybe this young man can
serve a useful role in society once again.


Really? That he had posted bail on a previous DUI just hours before
driving drunk again and then after going to prison decided to risk
literally years of his life so he could get high doesn't bode well for
his successful rehabilitation.
BTW, the "young man" in question is 31 years old. At what age do we
stop excusing intentional criminal acts as "errors of youth"?

Regards,
Bob Hunt

  #6  
Old May 17th 06, 10:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Ken Kifer's Murderer Still Behind Bars

"Bob" writes:

Hadron Quark wrote:

With that attitude noone would ever be released. The asshole who hit Ken
got 20 years : this is not a lenient sentence. In fact you could say it
was far too long for what could be described as "an alcohol induced accident".

If he can succeed in rehab then maybe, just maybe this young man can
serve a useful role in society once again.


Really? That he had posted bail on a previous DUI just hours before
driving drunk again and then after going to prison decided to risk
literally years of his life so he could get high doesn't bode well for
his successful rehabilitation.


Agreed : but if he does/can then all the better.

BTW, the "young man" in question is 31 years old. At what age do we
stop excusing intentional criminal acts as "errors of youth"?


Who said it was an error of youth? He certainly deserves punishment :
but to lock away the key is extreme and certainly not how any developed
society or legal system should handle it.


Regards,
Bob Hunt


--
  #7  
Old May 17th 06, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Ken Kifer's Murderer Still Behind Bars


Hadron Quark wrote:


He certainly deserves punishment :
but to lock away the key is extreme and certainly not how any developed
society or legal system should handle it.


I'm a bit curious about how other developed societies and legal systems
handle such a thing.

To review: IIRC, he was a person with a long history of putting
innocent people's lives at risk, over and over. He was jailed for this
- itself unusual, indicating a serious problem. Within hours after
release, he repeated the same offense, this time killing an innocent
person.

And, apparently, he behaves badly enough in prison that the legal
system decide he can't be rehabilitated.

Do other societies say "Oh well" and turn him loose on their citizens?


- Frank Krygowski

  #8  
Old May 17th 06, 03:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Ken Kifer's Murderer Still Behind Bars

In article .com,
) wrote:

Hadron Quark wrote:


He certainly deserves punishment :
but to lock away the key is extreme and certainly not how any developed
society or legal system should handle it.


I'm a bit curious about how other developed societies and legal systems
handle such a thing.

To review: IIRC, he was a person with a long history of putting
innocent people's lives at risk, over and over. He was jailed for this
- itself unusual, indicating a serious problem. Within hours after
release, he repeated the same offense, this time killing an innocent
person.

And, apparently, he behaves badly enough in prison that the legal
system decide he can't be rehabilitated.

Do other societies say "Oh well" and turn him loose on their citizens?


In the UK he probably wouldn't have been imprisoned in the first
place...

--
Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/
Where's the gin?
  #9  
Old May 18th 06, 02:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Ken Kifer's Murderer Still Behind Bars

Dave Larrington wrote:

In article .com,
) wrote:

Hadron Quark wrote:

He certainly deserves punishment :
but to lock away the key is extreme and certainly not how any developed
society or legal system should handle it.


I'm a bit curious about how other developed societies and legal systems
handle such a thing.

To review: IIRC, he was a person with a long history of putting
innocent people's lives at risk, over and over. He was jailed for this
- itself unusual, indicating a serious problem. Within hours after
release, he repeated the same offense, this time killing an innocent
person.

And, apparently, he behaves badly enough in prison that the legal
system decide he can't be rehabilitated.

Do other societies say "Oh well" and turn him loose on their citizens?


In the UK he probably wouldn't have been imprisoned in the first
place...


In certain urban areas in the US, the blame would be put on the
current administration and they'd do a telethon to raise support for
him. After doing a made-for-TV movie about his tragic life, of
course. After all, none of his bad behavior could REALLY be his own
fault, could it?

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame
  #10  
Old May 18th 06, 04:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Ken Kifer's Murderer Still Behind Bars

On Wed, 17 May 2006 18:31:10 -0700 in rec.bicycles.misc, Mark
Hickey wrote:

In certain urban areas in the US, the blame would be put on the
current administration and they'd do a telethon to raise support for
him.


the more you engage in right wingnut rants like this, the less
i'm interested in your titanium frames. this one was totally
uncalled for.


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ken Kifer's Murderer To Be Released 9/12/2005 Rob Perkins General 27 September 7th 05 06:50 PM
How quickly will my bars or stem fail? CEarly Techniques 1 April 11th 05 06:45 AM
Road Bars - Looking for specific bars Aaron Fillion Techniques 2 January 30th 05 02:34 AM
CARBON BARS, ROAD AND CROSS TIRES, MORE... [email protected] Marketplace 1 January 6th 04 01:48 AM
flat bars vs drops (again) Harald Techniques 138 December 17th 03 03:55 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.