OT (slightly): Osteopath in Perth?

Old August 11th 06, 03:48 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Graeme Dods

Default OT (slightly): Osteopath in Perth?

I've read various recommendations for physios etc. on a.b in the past
so I was hoping somebody might be able to recommend an osteopath (or
manipulative physio who *really* manipulates, not just wiggles) in or
around Perth.

My back's been niggling for a while, mainly due to bad lifting and
working in funny positions during house renovations, but this morning's
jaunt into the roof space to remove an unused ceiliing light has left
me hobbling around. Near the CBD or south of the river would be great,
but I'll go almost anywhere for a good practitioner.

Once it's sorted I really need to get back on my unicycle to build up
my back muscles.

Cheers!

Graeme

Old August 11th 06, 04:04 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Stuart Lamble

On 2006-08-11, Graeme Dods wrote:
My back's been niggling for a while, mainly due to bad lifting and
working in funny positions during house renovations, but this morning's
jaunt into the roof space to remove an unused ceiliing light has left
me hobbling around. Near the CBD or south of the river would be great,
but I'll go almost anywhere for a good practitioner.

Not a recommendation as such, but a quick check of the Yellow Pages
reveals six osteos in the Perth CBD. A close look at those reveals that
they're actually just two, under different listings (I *hate* that): one
in West Perth (Colin St), one in Perth (Lord St).

If you don't have any luck getting a personal recommendation from
somebody here, try calling them up and see when they can fit you in. In
my experience, most osteos have a reasonable idea of what's what, so I'd
not be too hesitant about trying one out. (Against that, I have been
known to travel a fair distance to keep seeing one whom I have a history
with: maybe it's the devil you know, but meh.)

And in any case: good luck. Back problems suck.

Old August 11th 06, 05:23 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Graeme Dods

Stuart Lamble wrote:
Not a recommendation as such, but a quick check of the Yellow Pages
reveals six osteos in the Perth CBD. A close look at those reveals that
they're actually just two, under different listings (I *hate* that): one
in West Perth (Colin St), one in Perth (Lord St).

Thanks for that Stuart. I'd found those ones too, the one in Colin
Street is within hobbling distance (and the walk will probably help
loosen things up) so I'll give her a call.

If you don't have any luck getting a personal recommendation from
somebody here, try calling them up and see when they can fit you in. In
my experience, most osteos have a reasonable idea of what's what, so I'd
not be too hesitant about trying one out.

I have had variable results from osteopaths, but you're right, they've
all helped to varying degrees. A friend from uni is now an osteopath
(he lives in Spain though), great guy, complete with an anatomically
perfect tattoo of a spine down his upper left arm (which he uses to
illustrate where patients' problems are! :-)

And in any case: good luck. Back problems suck.

Thanks, they do indeed. I'll go a year or two with no problems, get
lulled into a false sense of security and start getting lax on my back
exercises then *twang!* out it goes again :-(

Graeme

Old August 13th 06, 02:01 PM posted to aus.bicycle
peteroxcliffe

I'm generally a bit cynical about magical cures but I went to see a guy
called Peter Malcolm in North beach about a year and a half ago because
my back was pretty sad.
It was almost like one of those evangelist healer scenarios. I left his
office feeling GREAT. (And my back stayed that way!)
A warning- his treatment is not easy to endure........ but I made
it.......

Old August 14th 06, 06:08 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Graeme Dods

peteroxcliffe wrote:
A warning- his treatment is not easy to endure........ but I made
it.......

Painful massage I can handle. I used to get deep tissue massage from a
sports physio that had me swearing loudly (much to the concern of
people in his waiting room), but it certainly helped ease the severe
muscle tension I had.

Graeme

Name of Perth Bicycle Shops??? [email protected] Australia 7 November 19th 05 12:41 PM
Perth, 19 STEP, 05 second race, postponed from Jim Australia 1 September 20th 05 04:45 AM
Sunday Blow Galea In Perth Scott Australia 0 September 16th 05 10:28 PM
Bikes Stolen in perth Scott Australia 0 September 15th 05 04:39 PM
slightly bent rim help and progress report al.dyne Unicycling 2 May 9th 04 11:35 AM