MUni Weekend game suggestions needed

Old August 8th 03, 11:41 PM
johnfoss

Default MUni Weekend game suggestions needed

Okay, so we're back from NAUCC and putting together details for the 2003
California MUni Weekend. The plan is to do our traditional event at
Auburn; the Confluence uphill. But as I'm thinking of switching Auburn
and Rockville to opposite days, this will be at the very beginning of
the weekend and some people may miss it.

Rockville Hills Park has a rocky area where we can potentially do some
of the games you may have seen or heard about at the Moab MUni Fest in
March. Games that were easy to set up due to the easy ability to mark
courses with tape on the ground. Any ideas for games we could play
there? I've attached a picture of the area.

Our other games areas will be the Miller's backyard pool, and the STEP
parking lot. In the pool we will probably just ride for fun, and the
STEP parking lot is flat pavement with a loading dock and ramp. A member
of our group may build some Trials obstacles also.

Any ideas for games and contests we can do in any of these areas? Thank
you.

| Attachment filename: rockville_rocks.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/156548|

johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss
the Uni-Cyclone
www.unicycling.com
________________

"Where's my kids?" -- Amy Drummond
"Where's my unicycle?" -- Andy Cotter
spoken one right after the other, mostly to themselves, at NAUCC 2003

Old August 8th 03, 11:42 PM
johnfoss

Here's the pool:

| Attachment filename: pool.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/156549|

johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss
the Uni-Cyclone
www.unicycling.com
________________

Old August 9th 03, 02:02 AM
paco

--It looks technical enough that maybe we wouldn't even need a speed
trials section. Maybe just count the number of dabs like in Moab. Or
maybe we could divide into divisions and have the expert division be
speed trials, while the other division is just count the dabs.
--Instead of having an ultimate wheel obstacle course, how about a wheel
walking obstacle course?
--Even though I didn't even try this one, it was fun watching the high
jump in Moab. Makes for a good photo-op as well.
--Is there any event that would equalize all (or most of) the players?
I don't know how we could manage it, but it would be fun to find an
activity that has an element of chance.
--Okay, here's an idea. I just thought it up, so you won't hurt my
feelings if you don't like it. Unicycle Twister. We have four (or
five, or six) colored circles. The competitor starts in a circle, and a
spinner is spun. Whatever color comes up, the rider has to jump into
that circle and wait there until the spinner is spun again. Then they
have to jump into that colored circle. You count the number of
successful jumps they make. They are out as soon as they leave the
circle that they are supposed to be in that round. If it's too easy,
maybe the circles get spread farther apart each time they are
successful.
--Once again, I don't know how we'd manage this, but I'd like to see a
team race/event. Maybe a relay race...
We're up to $0.06

--
paco - Creator of the "BUni"

"One thing is for sure. Inspector Clay is dead. Murdered. And
-somebody's- responsible!"
-Plan 9 From Outer Space
paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715

Old August 9th 03, 05:58 AM
Mojoe

How about jousting?? You just need two broom handles, two foam water
noodles, two trash can lids and some duct tape.

Mojoe

| Attachment filename: veishea03_38.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/156570|

Mojoe - The Muni Militia

http://mojoe.unicyclist.com/
Mojoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/533

Old August 9th 03, 09:37 AM
tomblackwood

Mojoe wrote:
*How about jousting?? You just need two broom handles, two foam water
noodles, two trash can lids and some duct tape. *

BATTLE!!!!!

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

My other brake is my face!

Old August 9th 03, 09:49 AM
tomblackwood

paco wrote:
[B--Is there any event that would equalize all (or most of) the
players? I don't know how we could manage it, but it would be fun to
find an activity that has an element of chance.[/b]

I don't really want to think about this one, since if I'm one of "the
players", equalizing the playing field would involve some sort of
unanesthitized amputation on our favorite riders.

Wait, I just thought of one: we lay the unicycles aside, strap on the
roach pads, and have a no-holds-barred "pun-athon". That'll take the
holm-court advantage away from Kris. That'll put the heat on Dan. Under
pressure, John will make a faux pas---or would it be a Po Foss? The
masters will be dethroned, left Childsless in a world demanding
reproduction. The weepy violinists and harpers come out to play. The
lame-o riders like me will hoover up all the awards....

Old August 9th 03, 11:38 AM
daino149

tomblackwood wrote:
*
I don't really want to think about this one, since if I'm one of "the
players", equalizing the playing field would involve some sort of
unanesthitized amputation on our favorite riders.

Wait, I just thought of one: we lay the unicycles aside, strap on the
roach pads, and have a no-holds-barred "pun-athon". That'll take the
holm-court advantage away from Kris. That'll put the heat on Dan.
Under pressure, John will make a faux pas---or would it be a Po Foss?
The masters will be dethroned, left Childsless in a world demanding
reproduction. The weepy violinists and harpers come out to play. The
lame-o riders like me will hoover up all the awards.... *

That was brutal!

--
daino149 - One wheel to rule them all

A One That Isn't Cold Is Scardely A One At All

Old August 11th 03, 10:19 AM
paco

I officially pronounce TomBlackwood to be the winner of that pun-athon.
My head is still reeling!

Old August 18th 03, 01:01 PM
GILD

paco wrote:
*I think that this thread is worth salvaging. Anyone else got good
ideas? *

i think the idea of 'unicycle twister' (hopping between coloured disks)
is one that deserves a go
u can even make it more difficult by placing the different colours on
different levels
this game should be cheap to put together, provide fair spectator-value
and be good fun

--
GILD - Waffle-tosser

Science is organized knowledge. Wisdom is organized life.
Immanuel Kant

'pleez check this out' (http://www.reuniteluna.com/)

JUST SAY 'KNOW'!

Namaste!
Dave

Old August 18th 03, 02:02 PM
duaner

The child's game Simon Says adds a playful element of non-unicycling
'skill' to a game. If you UPD -or- do something that wasn't "Simon
says", then you're out. Last one in 'wins'.

As the game progresses, vary the wording used, and slowly increase the
difficulty of the stunts called.

Example:

Simon says, "mount".
"Dismount". - (anyone who dismounted is out - some of the most skilled
riders may already be out of the game)

Simon says, "Dismount".
Simon says, "Mount with left foot". - (whoops, people who confused their
left and rite are out)

(... significantly later ...)

Simon says, "Mount with one foot using your rite foot into a one footed
(rite footed) idle".
Simon says, "Still idling on your rite foot, turn around once to the
left".
Simon says, "Now, idle one footed using your left foot".
"And this time turn around to the rite". - (you're out if you did)

Simon says, "Idle one footed using your left foot". - (everyone was
already idling left footed, so no one should have done anything)

etc

Hint: it may help if the caller prep's him/herself a rough list of
stunts to call ahead of time - otherwise the caller's imagination /
recall can run out before there is a winner. (just having a copy of
skill levels or standard skills might help prompt the imagination)

(I can't really take credit for this idea - I just adopted it from
juggling festivals)

--
duaner
duaner's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4297