Freemount and General Help

Old August 23rd 03, 01:22 AM
UniMike

Default Freemount and General Help

Although I'm not sure I need help, I definately need an opinion or
three.

This is my second round with unicycles, the first being about 35 years
ago. I learned to ride a friend's uni, fairly decently, but never did
try to freemount. That was fun for a summer.

Fast forward to a week ago when I managed to talk my wife into buying
me a unicycle. I'm up to about 20-30 feet or so rides, which is
roughly the length of my back deck. Since that's the length limit for
me for now, I need to learn how to freemount so I can go other places
for distance.

Dang near killed myself! I'm working on a static mount, but the uni
doesn't understand static. I guess I keep stepping down on the peddle
instead of keeping the weight off that on putting it on the seat.
Anyway, I did that for an hour or so, and finally got on a couple of
times - but somehow had my weight centered instead of leaning forward,
so instead of going anywhere, I just sat there until I fell over
sideways, ala Artie Johnson and his tricycle. (At least I think
that's who it was, anyway.)

So the big question is this: Is what I'm describing normal while
learning this, or am I doing something way wrong? And the small
question is this: How long does it take to learn how to static mount
a uni?

Old August 23rd 03, 06:06 AM
chirokid

Welcome back to the world of unicycles, UniMike. I also learned to
unicycle when young. For me, that was over 32 years ago.

Freemount help: I found my success rate while learning to freemount
rose dramatically when I would practice on a slight up hill grade. I
would place the uni in front of me, with the up-hill slope to my back.
Place one foot on the back pedal and attempt your freemount.

The reasoning? The up-hill slope behind me prevented the unicycle wheel
from "passing under me so quickly", allowing me more time to find the
other petal, maintain control and sucessfully ride forward.

As your success improves, use less and less slope as a crutch to your
freemount. Lastly, as with any new skill, practice, Practice and
PRACTICE, but always have FUN!!! --chirokid--

--
chirokid

"Unicycling can make you proud then humble in very quick succession."
Mikefule

chirokid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4140

Old August 23rd 03, 07:12 AM
iunicycle

The key to the static mount is to keep you knee locked during the
mount.

That is, put your foot on the back pedal. Note the angle of bend in you
knee joint. Just think: lock that joint in place. Now jump up and put
your other foot on the front pedal, try to go a little over so that you
have momentum to go forward.

The biggest mistake I see is bending the knee, essentially this produces
something similar to the rollback, but it is just a timid mount,
without a jump. Without the jump, the pedal you are trying to hit is
moving and hits you in the shin. Worse, you finally learn to get your
foot on the pedals, but now they are at 12/6, the worst possible
position.

--
iunicycle - Old back, new cricks
iunicycle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1869

Old August 23rd 03, 07:25 AM
gerblefranklin

If you're having trouble keeping weight off your back foot you can try
this quick excercise: Find a 5-8" curb and place the top of the toe of
the foot that is normally on the back pedal when you mount against the
side of the curb. Now, without moving that toe or foot hop with your
other foot onto the sidewalk. Imagine your foot landing on the front
pedal and you gracefully riding away. Now try this on your unicycle.
Hope this helps, or you can already self mount by the time I hit "submit
reply".

--
gerblefranklin

If life had a meaning, would you want to know it?

Old August 23rd 03, 08:15 AM
duaner

UniMike wrote: *... finally got on a couple of times
- but somehow had my weight centered instead of leaning forward, so
instead of going anywhere, I just sat there until I fell over sideways
...,*

For that specific problem, try giving yourself some more forward
momentum as you push off the ground. That is, if you have your rite
foot on the pedal as you start, then push a little more forward off the
ground with your left foot as you begin the mount.

--
duaner - -
duaner's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4297

Old August 23rd 03, 09:31 AM
The 70's

When I bought mine (24") ~2 months ago, the one guy at the cycle shop that
knew something about riding suggested starting at a curb, that way the wheel
doesn't kick out behind you.
But I found that once I could do ~30 meters after taking off from a wall,
that this link
http://www.unicycling.org/unicycling/freemount.html
helped a lot, and I was freemounting like nothing at all.
Hope this helps you the way it did me.
(I rarely ride the two wheeler now that I've fallen in love with the one
wheeler.)

--
Remove the OBVIOUS to autoreply.

Old August 23rd 03, 04:15 PM
UniMike

Default Freemount and General Help - Thanks!!

Wow! Thanks for all the great tips, folks! I'm going to try a couple
of them this weekend.

I guess bottom line is that I'll learn to freemount when I get tired
of falling down, huh? Purple shins, here I come!

Thanks again, everyone!!

Old August 23rd 03, 10:34 PM
Cubby01

Mike,

I put off trying to learn to mount until I'd made it at 100 yards or better.
I found an empty parking lot that had light poles that were easy mounting
points. One was always within a short walk. When I did start to freemount
I started with the rollback. I tried static a few times and decided to put
it off. I'll probably give static some serious practice in a week or so.
Anyway I found that having practiced just riding really improved my balance
and I think, for me, mounts would have taken much more time if I'd attempted
back when I could only do 20 or 30 ft. I'm in my second month with the uni
now and try to get out and ride for a bit every other day. I have been
totally freemounting for the last week. Today I finally moved my practice
area to a school track. No mount assist available. My longest ride today
was 1.5 times around the track, about 600 yards. Keep practicing. It comes
quick. Even for us old guys.

-Cubby
42 and the old dog is still learning new tricks.... (err skills)