Broken Ankle!

Old September 2nd 03, 02:03 AM
Erin

Default Broken Ankle!

Can you believe it!? Just when I was getting back into some regular
riding after my holiday sans uni, and specifically when I was enjoying
the beginnings of a fun morning of riding trials with Mike Rocks one of
my fav riding pals..... Bam, I miss while hopping down a flight of
concrete stairs.... wrong move on the LAST step, fall to the right,
twist the right foot under and break the lower tip of the right
Tibia..... sigh.....

Six weeks in a nonweightbearing cast...... and with the first week of
school starting tomorrow ( I am the counsellor for 400 grade 8"s, poor
little gaffers!)

.... CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!?

I am shocked..... but after a few hours in emerg. and seeing everyone
else's much worse physical problems I atually feel fortunate: a clean
break, excellent treatment at the hospital and just some patience needed
while things heal... others are so much worse off... so really I think
I'll be fine.... I'll just lurking around the newsgroup a little more
than usual while I am housebound with my elevated cast.... uni's
gathering dust.....

later,
maybe slowed down - but not stopped,
Erin

--
Erin - Onewheeler

"Wow, that is so cool, is it your 'bike-instead'?
Erin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2036

Old September 2nd 03, 03:12 AM
Krashin'Kenny

Erin, that's gotta hurt !!!!!!!!!
(the broken bone and having to stay off your uni)

Hope you heal quickly

--
Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!
Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

Old September 2nd 03, 03:26 AM
harper

Erin-

That just aggravates me. We had big plans of you coming down to Seattle
on a monthly basis to go on trail rides and Coker rides and urban rides.
What's up with this injury thing? And broken bones to boot.

Steve DeKoekkoek is riding just about everything after falling off of a
9.5 foot giraffe and being laid up for more than six weeks so there is
hope. How do you get hurt falling off a girl's unicycle, anyway? (Bring
it on, Erin.)

--
harper - Old dog, no tricks

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

"Are you OK???" - Just about anyone I've ever ridden with

Old September 2nd 03, 03:27 AM
Carol McLean

Erin.

That's crummy. Hope you're able to get back in the saddle again in a
few weeks. Keep us posted on your progress.

Carol

--
Carol McLean - Likes Pedal Pushers
Carol McLean's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3302

Old September 2nd 03, 03:40 AM
chirokid

Bummer Erin, I pray you heal quickly. --chirokid--

--
chirokid

"Unicycling can make you proud then humble in very quick succession."
Mikefule

chirokid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4140

Old September 2nd 03, 04:12 AM
Max_Dingemans

yup... it sure does suck. but you got off easy on two counts, it's only
six weeks nonwieght-bearing and it's nearing the end of the good riding
season. my last... 15 weeks have been kinda slow. and another 3 before
surgury (again....) , HURRAY!

Anyways... Good luck on the recovery, and Im sure you will!

--
Max_Dingemans - Hey Look, who's that?

"And when the sky darkens and the prospect is war
Who's given the gun and then pushed to the fore
And expected to die for the land of our birth
Though we've never owned one lousy handful of earth"
Max_Dingemans's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1981

Old September 2nd 03, 04:58 AM
Rowan

Tough luck Erin. I have had heaps of close encounters with stairs,
especially stairs which turn corners. I mostly just ride down them
rather than hop, and I hate it when they bounce my feet off. Luckily I
have never broken any bones, but I have twisted my ankle pretty good
when I flung myself down from the top of seven stairs and landed
awkwardly. I was able to ride home, but I told myself I would wear boots
instead of shoes after that. I still wear the same shoes. [image:
http://community.the-underdogs.org/s...d/crumble.gif] Have fun
while healing Erin.

--
Rowan - •·.·´¯`·.·•
Rowan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3772

Old September 2nd 03, 05:10 AM
UniBrier

Erin,

Major bummer. I shattered my heel the day after Labor Day last year.
Six to seven weeks non-weight bearing and ten weeks total in that boot.
I think the worst part is losing all your calf strength.

I've got a pair of fore-arm crutches that aren't getting much use.

You will ride again!

--
UniBrier - Its Time to Ride

Steve DeKoekkoek - I've got a one track mind.
UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

Old September 2nd 03, 05:12 AM
tomblackwood

Erin, what a bummer. I'm sorry to hear you'll be out of commission
uni-wise for a little while, although you have the right perspective on
things. In the grand scheme, we're a pretty fortunate bunch to be able
to bounce all over the place on one wheel.

Now that you have all this extra lurking time, you should run a search
on both Max and on iunicycle. I think there have been some recent
threads on the proper application of pharmaceutical assistance to uni
injuries.

Heal well, and hopefully quick.

YPT

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

My other brake is my face!

Old September 2nd 03, 05:26 AM
Mike Rocks

Erin,
Sorry that your twisted ankle was really a break. I hope you have a
speedy recovery. Afterall, you missed out on not having your unicycle
with you on your trip and now this. Well we'll start with a an urban
ride once your back in the saddle again.
Take care,

--
Mike Rocks - Vancouver rider

Mike Rocks