Would I be mad to attempt this? (route advice)

Old July 26th 03, 10:43 PM
Doesnotcompute

Default Would I be mad to attempt this? (route advice)

yep, definate loony ... but wouldnt let that discourage you!

the rac route planner i find useful for distances at www.rac.co.uk

go for it dnc ... youve already done this sorta distance so you'll be
fine

well not quite - and I have no idea of the gradients involved.
As you'll know very well, large people on MTB's are very much at the
mercy of Isaac Newton.

and with the added benefit of a friendly welcome the other end

Oh yes...

who'll be amazed at the gruelling ride you'll have incentive enough to
get there

big grin

just hope she lets you stay so you dont have to come back same day!!!

She had bloody better!

--
Dnc

Old July 27th 03, 10:30 AM
Doesnotcompute

Jonathan Stafford wrote:
Invest in an Ordanance Survey Map which will give you a very good indication
of the gradients. The tighter the lines the steeper the hill! As I
understand it. I would go for it as its beautiful round North Yorkshire.

Jonathan

I hear you, but that route would need 3 maybe 4 due to the overlaps -
not an amount I'm prepared to spend for a route I then might not do.

--
Dnc

Old July 27th 03, 10:32 AM
Tony W

"Doesnotcompute" wrote in message

I hear you, but that route would need 3 maybe 4 due to the overlaps -
not an amount I'm prepared to spend for a route I then might not do.

Then go to your local library and have a look at the maps for free.

Alternatively, go to www.streetmap.co.uk and look through the whole route.

Old July 27th 03, 10:47 AM
Doesnotcompute

Tony W wrote:
"Doesnotcompute" wrote in message

I hear you, but that route would need 3 maybe 4 due to the overlaps -
not an amount I'm prepared to spend for a route I then might not do.

Then go to your local library and have a look at the maps for free.

Alternatively, go to www.streetmap.co.uk and look through the whole route.

ooh I didn't realise streetmap has OS gradients on - albeit only in one
of the zoom's but it's good enough! Thanks!

--
Dnc

Old July 27th 03, 10:28 PM
Doesnotcompute

Tim Henderson wrote:
I had a look at the Sustrans map site to see what they had to offer
and discovered something called the Yorkshire Dales Cycleway (which is
probably slower , less direct but more interesting than the direct
route - Kettlewell to Carlton sounds fun). I hadn't heard of this
before and then came across

http://www.sherpavan.com/trails/mcyd.asp

as an organisation supporting cyclists and walkers doing various
trails. Their info sheet available as a pdf download shows height
profiles of the route .(horrifying to me). Their last two days done in
the reverse direction cover Skipton to Grinton (Reeth)- in Swaledale
upstream of Richmond.

I guess if it was me I would look to break your journey at Kettlewell
Youth Hostel and do it over two days - but good luck.

(Sustrans also had a Lancashire cycleway route that passed a few miles
east of Preston and met the Yorks one a few miles north of Skipton (I
think)

thanks for that, I'm also a little concerned by the profiles, but what
the heck. I'm also considering your tip on splitting the journey with a
stop at kettlewell or similar - a wise call me thinks.

--
Dnc