Clipless pedals - Shimano M515 SPD

Old July 31st 03, 08:42 AM
MD

Default Clipless pedals - Shimano M515 SPD

Andrew Johnson wrote:
From looking at www.wiggle.co.uk the Shimano M515 SPD clipless

pedals
seem a good option - not expensive and the reviews/recommendations
confirm the product to be of good value.

I've got a set of these and they are indeed good vfm. Ironically, as
the cheapest SPD pedal, they are probably not the best for newcomers
to the design. I started out using a set of 545's, which have an alloy
cage, that offers extra foot support, and is quite useful for those "I
don't want to be clipped in right now, but I do want to pedal"
moments. This mainly applies when MTB'ing however, so YMMV when using
them for commuting.

--

Regards,

Mark Davies

Old July 31st 03, 08:57 AM
RG

"MD" wrote in message
. net...
Andrew Johnson wrote:
From looking at www.wiggle.co.uk the Shimano M515 SPD clipless

pedals
seem a good option - not expensive and the reviews/recommendations
confirm the product to be of good value.

I've got a set of these and they are indeed good vfm. Ironically, as
the cheapest SPD pedal, they are probably not the best for newcomers
to the design. I started out using a set of 545's, which have an alloy
cage, that offers extra foot support, and is quite useful for those "I
don't want to be clipped in right now, but I do want to pedal"
moments. This mainly applies when MTB'ing however, so YMMV when using
them for commuting.

--

Regards,

Mark Davies

I would agree with Mark on the "dual purpose" idea - I am also a newcomer to
SPD and have installed 424 pedals on my hybrid and shopping bikes in order
to also be able to either ride unclipped OR in ordinary shoes - on my
sportier bike I have 515s and they are excellent.

The one other thing I am considering (for my Moulton APB) is the Shimano
pedals that are SPD one side and platform the other as I usually ride it
with ordinary shoes but would like the option of the SPDs for longer runs.

RG

Old July 31st 03, 02:47 PM
Fraggle

"RG" wrote in message ...

The one other thing I am considering (for my Moulton APB) is the Shimano
pedals that are SPD one side and platform the other as I usually ride it
with ordinary shoes but would like the option of the SPDs for longer runs.

RG

I may be making this up

I think you can get little platforms with old style clips to clip into
"clipless pedals" for those times you want to wear normal shoes.

/I may be making this up but if i am someone should make some!

fragg
Old July 31st 03, 03:10 PM

Fraggle wrote:
"RG" wrote in message ...

The one other thing I am considering (for my Moulton APB) is the Shimano
pedals that are SPD one side and platform the other as I usually ride it
with ordinary shoes but would like the option of the SPDs for longer runs.

RG

I may be making this up

I think you can get little platforms with old style clips to clip into
"clipless pedals" for those times you want to wear normal shoes.

/I may be making this up but if i am someone should make some!

fragg

I have some of these - they came with the bike. Its a plastic platform
with a cleat shape moulded onto the back. The platform is almost
flat/smooth with some textured parts on it.

As I understand it they are mainly there for display purposes, so you
can try a bike from a shop without having to wear SPD shoes. The lack of
grip tho doesn't make them that practical to use for normal day to day
cycling, and I took mine off for this reason (they are double sided
pedals so for a while I left them on whilst I got used to the SPDs). I
don't think they are sold separately.

John.

Old July 31st 03, 03:16 PM
Jim Price

RG wrote:

"Fraggle" wrote in message
om...
"RG" wrote in message

The one other thing I am considering (for my Moulton APB) is the Shimano
pedals that are SPD one side and platform the other as I usually ride it
with ordinary shoes but would like the option of the SPDs for longer
runs.

I think you can get little platforms with old style clips to clip into
"clipless pedals" for those times you want to wear normal shoes.

..... assuming today isn't April 1st that is an interesting product - does
anyone know if it is true ?

They do exist. If you buy a bike fitted with clipless pedals, they
should come with the bike, because IIRC they are required for the bike
to be legal. I had a pair of these. Now I have one. They were built to
get around a law, not to actually use IMHO. There may be more robust
ones out there, maybe even ones which say Wellgo on them.

I have not seen them for sale separately.

--
Jim Price

http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

Old July 31st 03, 03:34 PM
Tony W

"J" wrote in message
news

I have some of these - they came with the bike. Its a plastic platform
with a cleat shape moulded onto the back. The platform is almost
flat/smooth with some textured parts on it.

As I understand it they are mainly there for display purposes, so you
can try a bike from a shop without having to wear SPD shoes. The lack of
grip tho doesn't make them that practical to use for normal day to day
cycling, and I took mine off for this reason (they are double sided
pedals so for a while I left them on whilst I got used to the SPDs). I
don't think they are sold separately.

They also allow the pedal to be sold with reflectors. Its then the punters
choice to remove them.

I have a set sitting on the kitchen windowledge.

Old July 31st 03, 07:42 PM
Frank X

"Simon Galgut" wrote in message

They are good value and work fine, but I found that after 20 miles or so

my
feet would ache a bit and my ankles start to turn due to the lack of

support
(that's with proper Sidi MB boots). I have since fitted M545 with the

alloy
cage and find these are MUCH better and just as easy to clip in and out

of.

Dunno, what you mean support?, you need a firm sole but surely that is all.

I think the position of the cleat fitted to the shoe and the amount of float
are the important things to look at if you have problems

If you are intending to do long journeys or stand up and sprint then I

would
reccomend the 545 (which unfortunately cost loads more )

If you clipped in what benefit does a cage offer? Maybe your shoes soles
aren't stiff enough

Old August 1st 03, 01:16 AM
Fraggle

Jim Price wrote in
:

RG wrote:

"Fraggle" wrote in message

I think you can get little platforms with old style clips to clip
into "clipless pedals" for those times you want to wear normal shoes.

http://www.xpedia.co.uk/acatalog/Xpe...PEDALS_54.html

is as close as i can find using the great google. (scroll to the last
item)

I am sure i have seen em with clips as well!

Fragg

Old August 1st 03, 08:01 AM
RG

"Fraggle" wrote in message
.. .
Jim Price wrote in
:

RG wrote:

"Fraggle" wrote in message

I think you can get little platforms with old style clips to clip
into "clipless pedals" for those times you want to wear normal shoes.

http://www.xpedia.co.uk/acatalog/Xpe...PEDALS_54.html

is as close as i can find using the great google. (scroll to the last
item)

I am sure i have seen em with clips as well!

Fragg

Just the ticket - I would guess that if they have reflectors then the front
ones could be removed and old style clips screwed on (I rather like the
short ones without straps) - I'll bend the plastic with a purchase later
today and report back in due course if anyone is interested

RG

Old August 9th 03, 12:21 AM
Fraggle

Fraggle wrote in
:

Jim Price wrote in

was looking for clips to clip into clipless pedals

I am sure i have seen em with clips as well!

Fragg

Hah vindication!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=3621094568

LOOK only, maybe you can get a spd-look converter as well!

Fragg - I am not the seller, nor do i know the seller.