"Segway still a novelty "

Old July 12th 03, 02:56 AM
M. Barbee

Default "Segway still a novelty "

I've seen them around DC three different times. They're still a novelty to
me. They still turn my head when I see them although I'll never buy one.

"Mike" wrote in message
om...
Segway still a novelty
The Segway, the two-wheeled, auto-balancing scooter that makes use of
five gyroscopes, has garnered unprecedented media attention. Yet the
Segway — battery-powered and traveling at speeds up to 12 mph,
touted as a transportation revolution — is still a rarity.
http://www.washtimes.com/culture/200...2842-7522r.htm

Old July 12th 03, 03:10 AM
heater

Mike wrote:
Segway still a novelty The Segway, the two-wheeled, auto-balancing
scooter that makes use of five gyroscopes, has garnered unprecedented
media attention. Yet the Segway — battery-powered and traveling at
speeds up to 12 mph, touted as a transportation revolution — is
still a rarity. http://www.washtimes.com/culture/200...102842-7522r.-
htmhttp://www.washtimes.com/culture/20030710-102842-7522r.htm

Might have something to do with it's 5K price tag?!?

Old July 12th 03, 03:42 AM
Ken

heater wrote in news:3f0f72c5$1_4
@news.chariot.net.au:
Might have something to do with it's 5K price tag?!?

Definately. The thing is work $1K at most. You can get a decent motorcycle
for $5K.
Old July 12th 03, 06:20 PM
Leonard Migliore

In article ink.net,
mark wrote:

"Ken" wrote
Might have something to do with it's 5K price tag?!?

Definately. The thing is work $1K at most. You can get a decent

motorcycle
for $5K.

Better yet, you can get a really nice bicycle for $5k
--
mark

Or 2 or 3 very good bicycles.
Old July 13th 03, 06:59 PM
GRL

Or a very nice used motorcycle and a couple of very nice new bicycles.

That Segway thing might be useful for an old guy with bad legs working in a
big warehouse, but that's about it.

--

- GRL

"It's good to want things."

Steve Barr (philosopher, poet, humorist, chemist,
Visual Basic programmer)
"Leonard Migliore" wrote in message

"Ken" wrote

Old August 31st 03, 10:17 AM
Marian Rosenberg

Ken wrote:
heater wrote in news:3f0f72c5$1_4
@news.chariot.net.au:

Might have something to do with it's 5K price tag?!?

Probably not, the market they are aiming at are the people who aren't
quite ready to acquiesce to using an electric wheelchair. They are
faster than the hideous little electric scooters[1] and also have
something resembling balance, which the mobility carts don't. The big
problem for the mobility market is the need to stand.

I'll never get a Segway. My walking ability is tolerable. My bicycling
ability is surprisingly good. I can't stand worth a damn.

Definately. The thing is work $1K at most. You can get a decent motorcycle
for $5K.

But can you take your motorcycle into an office building?

The Segway is a mobility assistance device, not a travelling long
distances device.

-M

[1] 4.5 mph TOP speed. I regularly hit 12 mph in my manual wheelchair.
I was pretty ****ed when the insurance company took away my wheelchair
and replaced it with a mobility cart. Even if it did make me do more
crutching about and certainly helped with the walking in the long term
.... it was a nasty, hideous, slow, unwieldy ... etcetera.